The Professional Scrum Master I from Scrum.org is a challenging online assessment where you’ll answer 80 multiple choice questions within an hour.
Here are some ideas on taking and successfully passing the Professional Scrum Master (PSM I) assessment achieving the Professional Scrum Master Certification.
How to Prepare for the Assessment
- If possible, attend a Professional Scrum Master course by Scrum.org and ensure you thoroughly understand and review the course notes at least 3-4 times.
- Make sure you read the Scrum Guide a number of times, understand it and memorise the concepts – use mind maps and note taking and mnemonics to get the concepts in your head
- Do the Scrum Open Assessment until you can achieve 100% at least 5 times in a row
- Do our Scrum Open Assessment until you can achieve 100% – these are different to the Scrum.org questions and we use them to prepare our consulting clients to pass the Scrum.org assessments
- Optional Reading
- A Pocket Scrum Guide
- Mastering Professional Scrum
- Scrum Narrative and PSM Exam Guide
- Fixing Your Scrum
- Contact us with any questions!
When Ready To Take The Scrum.org PSM I Assessment
- You’ll need to purchase the PSM I Assessment from Scrum.org
- Ensure you have a good internet connection – the last thing you need is the connection dropping halfway through the exam – yes it has happened, and no, its not fun
- Have the Scrum Guide and Scrum Glossary open in another browser so you have them to hand if you need to search for anything factual– ctrl F is your friend!
- Read the Scrum Guide once before the exam (You read it at least 5 times when you were preparing right? 😊 )
- Do the Scrum Open Assessment at least 2-3 times to get your mind warmed up to the style of questions
- 80 questions in an hour means you need to be moving calmly but briskly – note down hard questions and come back to them, get through the easy questions quickly
- Hard questions can be made easier by eliminating the obviously wrong options
- Make sure you check the Scrum Guide if you want to check the factual questions – for example how long is the Sprint Review event?
If you’ve prepared as above, you should pass with flying colours. If you miss the mark, you will need to purchase another key.
(If you attend a Professional Scrum Master I course then you get a free attempt within 14 days)
Good Luck and feel free to let me know how you did!